Are you considering a remodel or building your dream home? You may be one of the many people who is following the trend of wanting an open floor plan. But have you considered all of the pros and cons ?
- Open floor plans give you uninterrupted sight-lines to your family, which give you an excellent way to reconnect with everyone.
- Without the pesky walls, having an open floor plan definitely makes your home feel larger and more spacious.
- What about the heart of the home, the kitchen? The kitchen is now front and center and is the main focal point.
- Natural light is able to flood your home and bring the outdoors in. Being able to bring in the outdoors through sight-lines is a proven stress reliever.
- Open floor plans make it easier for you to entertain. Your guests are easily drawn together into the main space, allowing your guests to relax, enjoy the atmosphere and to be more social.
- Your home may have a better resale value.
- Privacy is no longer an option with an open floor plan.
- Where do you hang all of your beautiful art?
- You could have higher energy costs.
- With an open floor plan, you no longer have dedicated spaces.
- Noise travels farther when you have a large open space.
- Without careful planning, there may not be adequate storage for certain rooms such as a child’s playroom.
So, ask yourself if it is truly important to have an open floor plan or would you rather keep some walls in place. Do you go with something that is trendy or do you break the mold and do your own thing? Either way the outcome can still be beautiful.
**Always check with a licensed professional like Zahler Construction before you knock down walls, to ensure the walls are not load bearing.**